Copyright Registration[C-Regs] Services

If you want to take advantage of a copyright registration system under the Copyright Act of Japan, please check here!

What are C-Regs Serivices?

 will complete a series of procedures for C-Regs on your behalf.  More specifically, the following services are included:
Drawing up required documents of C-Regs (completing an application form and documents attached thereto);
Making an application to the Agency for Cultural Affairs as your representative;
Responding to inquiries from a registrar of the Agency for Cultural Affairs; and/or
Requesting the issuance of a transcript or extract of the Copyright Registry, receiving the said document in your place, and delivering the document to you by post.

[Note 1]
The term ‘C-Regs’ means registrations concerning copyrights for which you can make an application to the Commissioner of the Agency for Cultural Affairs in accordance with the provisions of the Copyright Act of Japan (CAJ), which include the following:
 Registration of true name;
 Registration of the date of first publication or first making public;
 Registration of transfer of copyright.
Although there are some kinds of C-Regs other than the above-mentioned enumerated in CAJ, the aforesaid three C-Regs are of greater importance practically.
[Note 2]
Particular registrations for a ‘computer program’ are processed in a different way from the general registrations (i.e. C-Regs).  So, if you are thinking about a registration for a computer program in Japan, please make an inquiry to KCA.

What does it cost?

The total costs (per application) you need to pay for C-Regs are computed in the following way:

Total costs (per application)
 = [Service Fees] + [Processing Fees] + [Miscellaneous Expenses]

The term ‘Service Fees’ means the charges for C-Regs Services that KCA provides for you.
The term ‘Processing Fees’ means the statutory fees for C-Regs that you are required to pay to the Agency for Cultural Affairs.
The term ‘Miscellaneous Expenses’ includes, among others, postal expenses.
If there should be legal or practical difficulty to which KCA must pay particularly careful attention in your request, you may be required to pay an additional charge.  In such a case, we will inform you in advance in giving an estimate for your request.

 Registration of true name

Total costs (Per application) : 44,000
[Service Fees : 30,000] + [Processing Fees : 9,000] + [Miscellaneous Expenses : 5,000]
[Note] Currency: Japanese yen

 Registration of the date of first publication or first making public

Total costs (Per application) : 45,000

[Service Fees : 37,000] + [Processing Fees : 3,000] + [Miscellaneous Expenses : 5,000]
[Note] Currency: Japanese yen

 Registration of transfer of copyright

Total costs (Per application) : 63,000

[Service Fees : 40,000] + [Processing Fees : 18,000] + [Miscellaneous Expenses : 5,000]
[Note] Currency: Japanese yen

How should I contact and pay?

First of all, please write us your request by e-mail.

We will make a quick response (by e-mail) by giving USEFUL ADVICE for your request as well as an ESTIMATE for services KCA provides for you.
When you are willing to accept the terms and conditions of our services, please remit the amount (Japanese yen) of the estimate by SENDING SERVICES of WESTERN UNION to the name and address which are designated in the said estimate.
The moment we make sure that the SENDING SERVICES of WESTERN UNION are available, we will take quick action for your request.
For more information or inquiries, please feel free to contact us at the preceding mail address.

What are legal effects or practical advantages of C-Regs?

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently mistaken by the general public.  Copyrights are secured automatically when a work is created.  No registration or publication is required to secure copyrights in Japan.  The widely known © symbol is not required, either.  There are, however, certain legal effects or practical advantages in C-Regs.  So, it is very beneficial to your copyright management in Japan to make C-Regs in a certain situation.

 Registration of true name (Art. 75)

The author of a work that has been made public, anonymously or pseudonymously, may have his/her true name registered with respect to his/her work, regardless of whether he/she actually owns copyrights therein.  And, the person whose true name has been registered is presumed to be the author of the registered work.  So, if your work has been made public, anonymously or pseudonymously, it is advisable to explore possibilities of this registration.

 Registration of the date of first publication or first making public (Art. 76)

The copyright owner of any work, or the publisher of an anonymous or pseudonymous work, may have the following date registered; the work's date of first publication or its date when the work has been first made public.  And, the work whose date of first publication or date of its first having been made public has been registered is presumed to have been first published or first made public on the said registered date.
In practice, this registration is frequently used to identify the author, the copyright owner and the subject matter of a registered work and to present prima facie evidence of the existence of vested rights and other facts relating to copyrights in a contractual negotiation (licensing, transfer, etc.), as well as in a legal dispute such as a copyright infringement suit.  So, if you want to make smooth copyright business, transaction, or clearance, as well as lawsuit, you should explore possibilities of this registration.

 Registration of transfer of copyright (Art. 77)

The transfer of copyright(s) other than that by inheritance, unless registered, may not be asserted against a third party.  This provision is of crucial importance when ‘double transfer’ occurs.
In a case where you (transferee) obtained ‘Copyright X’ from an author (copyright owner, transferor), you have not made the registration of transfer of the said ‘Copyright X’; Should the author transfer (i.e. double-transfer) the ‘Copyright X’ to a third party and the third party has made a registration of the transfer of ‘Copyright X’ in the course of absence of your registration, you CANNOT make an assertion against the third party that you have obtained the ‘Copyright X’ from the author.  On the contrary, the third party can claim against you as valid the transfer of ‘Copyright X’ between the author and himself.  You may lose even though the contract of transfer between you and the author predates that between the third party and the author.  So, in the case where you are involved in assignment of copyright(s) in Japan, you must explore possibilities of this registration.

     Kaneda Copyright Agency
     For proper copyright management in Japan

      Home  Copyright Contract